Whether carrier, shipper or consignee the importance of proper preventative checks to insure against water ingress cannot be overstated. Approximately one third of all P&I claims are cargo related and a significant portion of these claims is as a result of water damage, specifically seawater ingress via the hatch covers.
Following the careful manufacture, transport and handling of your commodity, and with many companies operating on thin margins and strict deadlines, the effect of a cargo being lost to seawater damage, tied up in lengthy claims proceedings or purchased ‘off-spec’ at a heavy discount can be devastating, but the good news is, these situations are avoidable.
International Marine Survey Ltd provides expert Ultrasonic Leak Detection (ULD test) inspections to ship owners, marine insurers and exporters, particularly those in the carriage of steel, agricultural products and paper.
Why choose IMS?
You can have 100% confidence in your survey, as we only use calibrated and classification society type-approved equipment. Whilst this should go without saying, it is worth checking with your provider, as only under these conditions can the repeatability of the test results be guaranteed. Indeed we go one step further with our inspectors undertaking a training program with the manufacturers of the Ultrasonic Test (UST) apparatus to ensure the highest level of competency.
What are the benefits of the Ultrasonic Test for the testing of Hatch Covers:
- Ultrasonic Testing is a reliable and non destructive testing method
- Ultrasonic Testing allows easy detection with pinpoint accuracy, significantly reducing the time required to identify and rectify potential issues.
- Testing is quickly repeatable allowing for fast retests to check the effectiveness of repairs
- Ultrasonic testing is a ‘dry’ testing method so unlike other methods there is no risk of damaging water sensitive cargo or causing pollution issues in the dock facility.
- Other than for supervision and safety, Ultrasonic Hatch Cover testing requires no assistance from the ships crew and therefore reduces the risk of ‘tampering’ with the result.
- Ultrasonic Testing equipment can be used in laden and unladen holds, which in certain cases, allows for repairs to be made during loading and follow up checks to be made once loading is complete, so as to prevent operational delays.
- Ultrasonic Leak Detection can be conducted safely under all weather conditions and in sub-zero temperatures where other methods are not viable e.g. chalk test and hose test.
- For owners and operators, a regular test will help provide the ship with targeted inspection data which will help guide maintenance and repair history and demonstrate due diligence when defending against unfair claims.
Call International Marine Survey Ltd to book your next Ultrasonic Test now.